Thursday, December 01, 2005

Is there a Santachrist? I ask in my naive confusion.

He comes from above in a chariot overflowing with gifts and blessings. I tremble and bow low before his shadow. He has imitable power over me. I know I haven't been my best this year and I know he was watching.

I admit I have had lusty thoughts, I have been envious of those who live better than me, and have entertained dark desires of assaulting those who have wronged me.

I am racked with guilt, so as penance; I will sing 5 Christmas Carols and add 10 extra bright light sets to my house when I decorate. It is all I can do to appease him.


He has reindeer, 12 of them; they are his eyes, ears and engines. I will sing the special song about a certain reindeer I was taught in childhood to try and placate them. Yet, I am apprehensive of hearing hoofsteps on my roof in the middle of a cold wintry night in December; for they will bring him.

Santachrist...I whisper the name out loud. I shudder at the sound of my own words and genuflect; I am in awe of his grandeur. For he is very old and I know he has been around the block a few times.

As a small child, I would often wait on long lines for a chance to sit on his lap and dare to ask for things. I knew even then that I was unworthy. But, sometimes he would grant my wishes, sometimes not. That is his way...so they say.

Now I wish he could hear my needful pleas. For now that I am older, my needs have become greater and more desperate.

I will pray:

Oh Santachrist- Please hear my words...I ask not for more than I am entitled to; for I am still a sinner and still unworthy. But this holiday season, my greatest wish would there to be Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men and please don't forget the Harley Davidson Sportster...
Amen

No comments: